In this post from Dr. Howard Kessner General, Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry in Dallas we focus on behaviors that influence dental health. Of course, regular brushing and flossing are two important habits for healthy teeth, but there are many more things we can do to keep a healthy smile.
- Do eat a nutritious diet with a variety of foods. This is needed for overall physical health and a strong immune system.
- Do consume calcium-rich dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt to neutralize acids that are detrimental to enamel.
- Don’t eat sugary foods. Sugar triggers the production of detrimental cavity-causing acids that weaken enamel and lead to cavities.
- Don’t snack throughout the day. This accelerates plaque production and subjects the teeth to continual contact with acids.
- Don’t chew on ice (it really can crack teeth.)
- Don’t drink energy drinks. They have many substances that are bad for teeth.
Other Important Tips
- Don’t use your teeth as tools. It is better to cut that knotted shoelace than to gnaw at it to try to untangle it.
- Don’t get piercings in or around your mouth.
- Don’t ignore tooth pain or sensitivity.
- Don’t use a medium or hard bristle toothbrush. It can damage gums.
At Dr. Howard Kessner General, Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry in Dallas we encourage all of our patients to maintain a lifestyle that promotes dental health as well as overall physical health. Patients from Richardson, Plano, and Prestonwood come to our practice for general and cosemtic dentistry. Schedule your next checkup with us today!
Contact Dr. Howard Kessner General, Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):